Welcome to the world of Ammi—a mindfulness adventure series for young children. Ammi is a wise and gentle child who leads the way as we explore ourselves and one another through the natural world. Each story uses guided imagery to inspire inner connection and support emotional regulation. These simple meditations recognize the importance of imagination as a foundation for conscious creation in the world. They bridge the physical, the energetic, the emotional, and all the spaces in between. Whether in the home or classroom, you can engage in these special practices with children of all ages. Read them aloud together, listen to the guided meditation, and welcome the time to process and integrate the practice.
Ammi’s Adventures: Stones
Listen to the Story:
Ammi’s Adventures: Stones
Hi! I’m Ammi. My name means “the whole world is inside of me,” and I think it’s true: I carry the whole world in my mind and heart and body. I know you do, too! I like to play games, explore, and discover what makes me, me. I’m so glad we’re together on this journey!
I love stones. I love rocks, crystals, and fossils. River rocks, big boulders, glittery gems. I love them all. They come in every shape, size, and color. They are so unique and also common, you can find them everywhere. But, you know what the best thing about stones is? The way they listen. They just sit there, all present, not going anywhere, ready to hear whatever we have to say. If you think about it, stones could have been listening to people, to animals, to the earth and plants around them, since the beginning of time. They have heard all the stories.
Nothing surprises a stone. And they will listen through laughter, tears, and anger. They don’t leave, they don’t get upset, they don’t tell you what to feel or think or do, they just hold tight to all the messages and remind us how strong we are. Sometimes, if we are listening to them the way they listen to us, we may even hear the response we most need. After all, they are very wise and very, very old.
Sometimes I’ll sit holding a favorite stone and practice my listening. Let’s go on an adventure and imagine together!
A Mindful Listening Practice for Kids
A 3-Minute Mindful Listening Practice for Kids
- Find a cozy space to settle in and take a few deep breaths. First, let’s get clean and clear. Reach up and turn on a faucet in the sky. As you imagine colorful beams of light showering you from head to toe, let go of whatever is ready to go so you can be present for this rocking adventure.
- Now begin to focus on all the noises you can hear around you. Perhaps there’s music playing in the distance or maybe you can hear a bird chirping? Is the wind blowing, or is there a fan nearby whirling? Notice all the noises outside of you. Maybe you can count them? One, two, three, four, five….
- Now listen to all the sounds inside of you. Is your tummy gurgling? Can you hear the air coming in and out of your nose? What thoughts are you having? Can you hear your feelings? Notice all the noises inside of you. Maybe you can count them. One, two, three, four, five…
- How does it feel being so still that you can hear all these sounds? Maybe this is what rocks feel like. What kind of a rock would you like to be right now? A giant red stone standing proud in the desert sun? A shiny gem reflecting light and inspiring beauty? A rock on the ocean shore being washed by wave after wave? Whatever kind of stone you’d like to be says a lot about how you feel right now and what you need.
- Choose your special stone and imagine being it. Think about all the stories you’ve heard, how far you’ve traveled, and everything you’ve seen and experienced. Now listen for a message from your stone. It’s meant for you alone. What do you most need to know right now? Your stone will tell you.
Stones are strong, they have courage. They teach us that listening is brave and it takes practice. Being willing to listen to ourselves and our people makes us stronger and wiser.
Love from your friend,
We can practice listening like stones wherever we go! Remember that in order to listen like stones we only need to be open, still, and present. This takes practice, but when we practice we may find that there are always more sounds to hear, and more special stories too. Have you ever listened to the trees? They have so much to share. What about animals? Not just the ones in your home but even the wild ones have something to say—just ask the bee buzzing by you. What about the ocean, or a lake? Yup, they will speak too, if you ask. There are wise teachers all around us, and they will share their knowledge with you. Just be a rock, and listen.
This engaging meditation uses the energy and imagery of roads to foster inner connection and emotional regulation. Follow the guided practice and join your child on a mindful adventure. Read More
This engaging meditation uses the energy and imagery of a seed to foster inner connection and emotional regulation. Follow the guided practice and join your child on a mindful adventure. Read More
This engaging meditation uses the energy and imagery of the four elements to foster inner connection and emotional regulation. Follow the guided practice and join your child on a mindful adventure. Read More