Join a small team of media specialists who are establishing the most trusted voice and go-to brand in secular mindfulness today. Collaborate with us by bringing your training and journalistic aspirations to our multi-media platforms, Mindful magazine and mindful.org, as well as other newly emerging offerings, in this entry level position. Mindful’s parent organization, The Foundation for a Mindful Society, is an independent not-for-profit registered in the U.S., with central business and editorial operations located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Pitch, research, and write items for several magazine departments.
- Fact-check stories and proofread and copy edit the magazine.
- Write photo captions.
- Edit display copy for digital edition, write web throws, and write web extras.
- Source images for online articles.
- Contribute short pieces to the web.
- Review digital edition for errors and links.
- Aid in maintaining schedules and smooth copy flow.
- Mine archives for potential content providers and story ideas.
- Help maintain editorial logs.
- Transcribe as needed.
- Assist deputy editor and editor in chief on special projects, as needed.
Specific qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor degree in journalism or English preferred.
- One year of experience in journalism.
- Research and fact-checking abilities beyond a basic Google/Wikipedia search.
- Proficiency with office technology including Adobe Creative Suite.
- Comfort with and willingness to learn back-end of relevant web applications.
The annual salary is $27,500 with two weeks’ paid vacation, employer-paid benefits, and an inclusive work environment. Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
Deadline for Applications: June 16, 2017.
Apply by email with “Editorial Assistant” in the subject line and attaching covering letter and resume to Cindy Littlefair at [email protected]