Mindful, North America’s leading mindfulness publication, is seeking an Editor to help shape the relevance and brand value of our print and digital publications. This person will combine strong print management abilities and planning and story development skills with an ability to help set online strategy. The Editor, who reports to Mindful’s Editor-in-Chief, will be a guiding and motivating force for editorial staff and contributors and possess a deep commitment to helping cultivate and grow diverse talent.
The Editor will assume full editorial management responsibility for the magazine, from strategic and conceptual product oversight with the Editor-in-Chief, to hands-on editing and story guidance. They will manage staff in the day-to-day execution of assignments and commission freelancers. One of their main responsibilities will be leading coverage of the connections between science and mindfulness meditation. Mindful is especially interested in journalism that represents all voices and experiences, ranging from local communities engaged in their own exploration to applications of mindfulness on a societal scale.
● Plan issues, editorial calendars, and yearly production schedule.
● Take a lead role with the art director on overall issue design and concept development.
● Recruit and engage a diverse group of high-quality freelance authors.
● Direct and manage editors and contributing editors in the development of story ideas for both features and departments.
● Review content prior to the copy-edit stage and review entire magazine at the proofing stage, and share top-editing duties with contributing editors.
● Assist in creation and implementation of the Web strategy; contribute content to the site.
● Contribute idea and expertise to other brand platforms.
● Represent the brand through public appearance and speaking engagements.
● Attend selected press events, openings, and trade shows as approved by the Editor in Chief.
The Editor will report to and act in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief.
● At least 10 years of reporting and editing experience, including online
● Demonstrated knowledge and interest in the field or related topic
● Commitment to mentoring and diversifying the pool of writers working in mindfulness journalism
● Experience in long-form editing and multimedia journalism
● An extensive network of freelance writing contacts and experience working with contributors
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities and deadlines
● Comfort with technology, social media, and digital tools for journalism
● Superior organizational skills and obsessive attention to details
● Sense of humor and comfort with ambiguity
● Excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills.
● Poise, tact, diplomacy, and the ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization
Mindful offers a dynamic and engaging editorial environment and the opportunity to be part of a trending movement with a mission that matters. To apply, please email [email protected] with “Editor” in the subject line, a resume, 3-5 work samples, and a cover letter.
Salary commensurate with experience. Mindful is a U.S. company with its main office based in Canada, but the job doesn’t have to be. We have staff remotely-based around the North American continent.
Deadline for Applications: July 6, 2018.