Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Duration: Full Time (in house)
Salary commensurate with experience. Candidates must already be legally able to work in Canada. (Non-residents may be considered under certain circumstances.)
The Foundation for a Mindful Society is seeking an energetic and creative Associate Art Director to join its small creative department. This person will be a strong contributor to the visual direction of Mindful magazine and be responsible for the design of front- and back-of-book sections, feature stories, and various special projects.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on a new initiative that celebrates being mindful in all aspects of daily life. This initiative includes a broad-audience, bi-monthly consumer magazine (Mindful), a rich digital presence, social media engagement, and conference partnerships.
Working primarily on the print edition of Mindful magazine, the new Associate Art Director will:
- Work closely with the editorial and art departments to develop strategies and conceive of visual solutions for features and front- and back-of-book sections.
- Create compelling and fresh layouts while maintaining Mindful‘s unique look and feel.
- Find and commission art from photographers and illustrators.
- Input editorial corrections, ensure that all files are properly prepared for press, and check online proofs.
- Work with the advertising and production departments to ensure that deadlines are met and ads are properly integrated into layouts.
The ideal candidate will have an established record of success in magazine design. Other desirable characteristics include curiosity, creativity, enthusiasm for publication design, attention to detail, strong problem-solving skills, and an ability to self-organize.
Specific Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Degree or diploma in Applied Arts or Graphic Design, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years relevant design experience
- Advanced knowledge of Indesign, working knowledge of Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator
- High-level understanding of typography
- Experience working with PDF workflows and pre-press
- Experience producing and directing photo shoots an asset
- Experience working with illustrators an asset
All candidates must provide a portfolio link or pdf of work samples.
About Our Company
The Foundation for a Mindful Society—an independent non-profit located in Halifax, Nova Scotia—is the publisher of Mindful magazine and mindful.org. We work closely with the major organizations across North America that are doing the leading work on applying mindfulness and mindfulness-based practices in business, schools and colleges, the military, health care and hospitals, the legal system and more. Our goal is to help support the work that’s being done and create new opportunities by telling the stories and connecting people, thereby helping to develop a community that will make mindfulness and mindfulness-based practices a routine part of North American society.
Please send your resume and cover letter with Associate Art Director in the subject line to HR Manager, Cindy Littlefair (email: [email protected]). We hope to have the new Associate Art Director in place by January 2016. Submission deadline: December 9.